Thursday, February 26, 2009

To be or not to be...........

This is my sweet grandparents. This picture is a few years old and I "borrowed" it from my cousins website, but I love this picture. As I said before, they are supposed to be coming to live with us soon. Last Friday Grampa went into the hospital and had a very hard weekend. My dad drove over to see him, my aunt flew in from Texas, my uncle went to see him. I have another aunt that was already there and has been caring for them for about 6 years now and another uncle that couldn't make it. Needless to say, we all thought it was good-bye. He's very weak and gets tired just talking on the phone. Tests have shown that he is working with 10-15% of his heart capacity. He's on oxygen 24 hours a day. He actually coded twice on Friday but asked them not to shock him again because it hurts. So, they had to make him a DNR. That was hard!
So,my dad sat with him for quite awhile on Sunday morning. He went in for (what we thought)the final "oldest son to dad talk" Near the end of the talk my dad asked him if he was ready to go and offered him a release blessing. He's been in pain for a long time. He can't do much without getting completely exhausted. Basically what happened is that he told my dad there will be time for that, but it's not time yet. He told my dad he's just not finished but he'll let him know when he is.
He spoke of coming here to be with us. He commented that he still has a great-grandchild he needs to get to know (he hasn't met Kyra yet) He did speak with all of the kids on Sunday. Even though Kyra hasn't met him, she ended up crying and saying what a sweet man he is. Which is very true. He helped me through some rough patches in my teenage years. Telling it like it is and trying to get me to listen to the people around me that cared the most.
So, my uncle, who is in the medical field, is trying to find a way to move him here without anything bad happening. He can't fly. He can't handle the long drive from San Diego. I don't know what's going to happen. But, my dad says he is determined to live until he can get here.
I spoke with Gramma on Saturday. She said even if he doesn't make it, she would still like to come live here. I don't know if that will change. I just know we are taking it day by day. Which is killing me since I'm a planner. But there's so much in my life right now that is unpredictable and un-plannable. I'll just have to get over it!! So it's just a waiting game with lots of praying. I really want to see my Grampa again and I know my kids would love to get to know him better. But we all know how hard it is for him to fight and we just want him to be able to rest.
So,here's one of those many times where we put it in the Lord's hands and accept what comes our way.

3 comments:

Kathie said...

I thought Kyra did meet Grampa. Didn't she meet him when you were here last summer? When you went to Disneyland and then had lunch at my Mom's house. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was wondering about this ever since I read the card that she sent to Grampa, with your Dad. I guess it doesn't matter, just wondering.

Owen said...

We will keep your family in our prayers. It is hard putting your planning nature aside and turning it over to the Lord. Deep breaths, deep breaths.

photomama said...

I talked to Grampa last night (Thursday) and he said he was really feeling a lot better! I hope that things work out so that you are able to help care for him and spend some time with him.
Thanks for "borrowing" the pic, by the way! I really like that picture, too. It is about 5 years old. It was taken in May (?) of 2004 while I was on vacation to see my fam. I was just barely pregnant with Evie. Gramma didn't like the pictures, but I was pleased with them. Gramma said that I made her "nose look big". I told her she just had a big nose! *wink* :)
Love ya!